I love making beautiful, colorful nutritious dishes for myself and my family. I love sitting down and eating mindfully, focusing on each bite and savoring it. That’s not always what happens, though. Often, I can be found wolfing down my food, or eating it at the sink, because I’m busy and need to just get through the meal to move on with my day. I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
The times when I’m present while preparing the meal, while eating it and feeling a deep sense of gratitude for the food before me; those are the meals that truly fill me up.
Food is about so much more than just fueling our bodies. Food is very cultural. Food holds memories of those who have gone before us, which is why old family recipes are cherished. Food brings people together. Food is woven into the very fabric of our society. If you plan trip to Paris, or to Rome, do you only go because you want to see the architecture, or do you also want to experience the food? I know I’d want to eat cheese and drink a lovely French wine at a sidewalk bistro in Paris and in Rome, I’d love to have real, handmade pasta with the most beautiful red sauce known to man and wash it all down with Pellegrino.
I love food. Is it obvious? While I enjoy making big meals or dishes that require a lot of time spent on preparation, most days, I prefer simple, easy-to-throw together meals that are colorful and delicious.
One of my favorite go-to meals is avocado toast.
Today, I didn’t want just the bland, smooshed avocado, I have often made. Today, I wanted more. My body woke up craving nutrients and so I bring you the Gluten Free “Overachiever” Avocado Toast. Overachiever because this baby is colorful, packed with nutrients, and is very filling with delicious and good-for-you fats of the avocado and the protein from the eggs.
Gluten Free Overachiever Avocado Toast
- 1 small avocado, seeded, peeled, and mashed in a bowl with salt and pepper
- 1 large handful fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium tomato, sliced
- 3 large white mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice Gluten Free bread, toasted
- Garlic, minced (or use powder)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped *optional
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- Sauté onions & mushroom in olive oil, over medium heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Move veggies to outer edge of skillet.
- Add egg and cook over easy, seasoning to your taste.
- Spread avocado over toast, top with sautéed veggies, egg, and sliced tomato. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve with fresh fruit.